QuickBooks payroll update error 12002 occurs when downloading payroll updates in the desktop accounting software. Users have the option to purchase a subscription of assisted or enhanced payroll, and then activate the service on the QuickBooks desktop. After the service is activated, users can easily store the employee information and use features such as direct deposit and online tax filing. This error occurs when the browser or the software cannot connect to the internet.
There can be many reasons for the connection timing out. First, incorrect configuration of your internet browser can prevent the process from starting in the first place. While QuickBooks tries to connect to the internet, the access is blocked directly through internet explorer, which is the main browser used by the accounting software. So you get the QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 12002. Other reasons include security software and windows firewall.
In this post, you’ll learn how to fix QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 12002.
About QuickBooks Payroll Error 12002
|Error Code:||Error 12002:||Developer:||Intuit Inc.|
|Error Description:||Error 12002: A network time out that is preventing QuickBooks from accessing the server.||Software:||QuickBooks|
|Cause:||Internet Explorer may not be the default browser., SSL settings – are not correct.||Applies to:||Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8|
|Symptom:||windows crashes, Windows runs slow and reacts gradually to the keyboard and mouse inputs.||Possible Solution:||Ensure that you access a secure site, Ensure that your Default browser is Internet Explorer|
Causes Behind The Quickbooks Error 12002
- Internet Explorer may not be the default browser.
- SSL settings – are not correct.
- Firewall/Antivirus choking your connection.
- Not able to access the server because of the connection time out
- There is a network issue while connecting via the internet.
There may be various other reasons behind this cause and those reasons can be too technical to understand generally. For such reasons or causes, you need to have support from technical experts who can guide you.
How to Resolve Quickbooks Error 12002
There are various ways this issue can be resolved.
- Ensure that you access a secure site.
- Ensure that your Default browser is Internet Explorer.
Before anything else, you have to test the connectivity and the Settings. So for this, the steps are mentioned below:-
- Check that the Internet Explorer is the default browser as the QuickBooks uses the Internet Explorer
- You have to Download and then Run the TLS 1.2 Utility
- Check and verify that other websites can open too.
If it is not your default browser, follow the below-mentioned steps to make it your default browser or to restore your settings (internet explorer) after that you will be successfully able to update QuickBooks Payroll.
- Close your QuickBooks or any of its services running.
- Now, go to Internet Explorer and Open
- Open Tools Option
- Security –> Global Icon –> Ensure that it is set to medium high.
- Open the Content Tab and ensure that the Content Advisor tab is enabled. If not, enable it.
- Open Connection Tab –> Never dial a connection (for non-users of dial-up node)
- Now, check that your LAN Connection is set on Automatically Detect Settings.
- Click on “Use A Proxy Server”
- Open Advanced Tab –> Restore Advanced Settings
- Select TLS 1.0
- Unmark TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2
- Once you are done with the above-mentioned steps. Restart your system.
- Now, you go to QuickBooks, open it and update once more.
- Now, re-configure firewall settings so that you can access certain ports and internet security settings. You need to update Parental Control Applications.
- If your QuickBooks is still not connected, start your system in Safe Mode with Networking and try to download the update.
- Now, restart your PC and reset your QuickBooks –> Download and Install –> Ensure that your company file is in Single-User Mode.
- Now, repair your Internet Explorer and completely scan your QuickBooks.
Above, you get to know about the QuickBooks Payroll Error 12002 and what are its reasons, and how to resolve it. So you have all the information related to it so you can resolve it on your own.
Still, if you have any glitches then the QuickBooks help desk team is here to help you out. They are here 365 days a year so you can reach them at any point in time. They know how to handle all your software issues because they have many years of experience.
Help Technical Support for Fixing 12002 QuickBooks Error Code
These are the certain steps in a form of immediate action (s) that you need to follow. If the error remains on your PC. You need technical help.
As you’ve already seen, the various solutions provided in this post all address various reasons that cause QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 12002. Once you’ve been through these solutions, you should’ve resolved this payroll update error. You should also install the latest updates for the accounting software to ensure that any patches that fix this problem are loaded.
What kinds of security settings that we need to check?
You have to check the various security settings that are:-
💠 Firewall settings
💠 Parental Control
💠 Internet security
What are the more solutions that can be done?
The other solutions are:-
💠 Troubleshoot the internet issues
💠 Download and update the QuickBooks latest release
💠 Start QuickBooks in selective startup mode
💠 Repair your browser.
How to do a selective startup?
💠 Open the Run window in your system
💠 Then write msconfig and click on the enter button
Go to the General tab
💠 Then select Selective startup and load the system services
In the Services tab
💠 Click on the Hide all the MS Services
💠 Then click on Disable all
💠 Again, you have to unhide it so, remove the tick mark from option Hide all MS Services
💠 Check that the box of Windows installer is already selected
💠 If it is not selected then select it
💠 Then click on the OK button
💠 Reboot your system.